In this article:
- Notion is an all-in-one collaborative workspace for organizing your personal and professional information. You can add notes, to-do lists, custom no-code relational databases, tables, toggles, embeds from any website, images, files, and so much more.
- Steps to Add a Quick Note
- Setting up the Shortcut to Your Quick Note
- Step 2 – Add a Quick Note to Notion
Notion is an all-in-one collaborative workspace for organizing your personal and professional information. You can add notes, to-do lists, custom no-code relational databases, tables, toggles, embeds from any website, images, files, and so much more.
You can create and structure your content however you wish. It’s flexibility and adaptability has individuals comparing it to a big box of Legos where you can build and organize anything you want.
In this article
Step 1 and 2 – Initial Setup – You will only need to do this 1 time
Step 3 – Adding a a Quick Note Each Time
I’ve been using Google Keep for quick notes but since I now have most of my information in Notion, I would like to add Quick Notes in the app also.
Currently, Notion does not have Home Screen Quick Actions or a 3D Touch menu. That’s the menu that pops up when you lightly press an app icon. This means you need to open the app to add anything.
When you first open Notion, there’s an icon at the bottom right to create a new Page. It’s great if you’re already in the app, but not useful if you’re not in the app.
Steps to Add a Quick Note
These first steps you will only have to do 1 time to set up the shortcut. The second set of steps will show you how you to add a quick note each time.
Setting Up Your Inbox Page in Notion
• Create an Inbox Page in Notion
This will be your main Page to capture anything and organize at a later time.
- Next, create a Template Button inside your Inbox page
To do this:
- Click inside the blank section of the page
- Click the + icon in the menu on the bottom left
- Click Template button (Scroll to the bottom and Template button is in the Advanced Blocks section)
- Rename your Template to Add A New Note
- Delete the default To-Do checkbox
- Click the + icon inside the Template button and add a new Page
On this page, create a template to use as a default for each Quick Note.
Created at: :Date:
To-do list checkbox, etc.
- Once your template page is setup, go back to your Inbox page
- You should now see your new template button
Now, copy the link to your Inbox page to begin the Shortcut setup
(Share > Copy Page Link)
Setting up the Shortcut to Your Quick Note
- Download the Shortcuts app on iPhone
- Click the blue + button
- Click Add Action
- Click Apps
- Click Safari
- Click Open URLs
- Paste your Notion page URL
- Name your Shortcut
Step 2 – Add a Quick Note to Notion
You will do this to create your Quick Note each time.
If you don’t already have it, add the Shortcuts app to your Widgets screen
- Click your Quick Note button on the Widget Screen
- Click your New Note Template
Now, each note will stay in Inbox until you move it to another location in your workspace, whether it’s another page or a database table!
Now you can quickly add notes or reminders to Notion on-the-go. Your notes go to a central location for sorting at a later time.
What’s great about this method is you can create Shortcuts for any of the Notion pages you need to access quickly!